Friday, July 25, 2014

Hummingbirds and Flies

A beautiful green hummingbird spent a frantic night in our living room, flying at ceiling level against our west-facing windows in eager hope of getting outside again. We opened large doors to the right and to the left of him, and still he insisted on going through a window that will never open.

I've noticed that annoying flies will persist in getting out of closed windows, even when an open one is inches to the side of them. What's with that? I'd prefer they get out instead of having to clean off my window ledges later.

I love those little hummingbirds - beautiful, swift and energetic. They seem to typically know where they're going, and swiftly - energetically move about life to be what God created them to be and to do what God created them to do.

I find myself however looking like our visitor last night or the uninvited flies that invite themselves inside. Why do I sometimes fly into closed windows when God's window of freedom is just to the right or left of my path? He knows my way. He is my way.

This morning, we were able to gently push the exhausted, surrendered little bird into a box and take him outside. He eagerly found an ounce of remaining energy to begin seeking life-giving nectar to drink.

And this morning, I come to Jesus, tired and thirsty for the sweet nectar of God's Word. Longing again for freedom from myself. Freedom from the seeming demands of my heart and emotions that occasionally rise up to take control.

I opened to 2 Kings and read of King Hezekiah, who "did what was good and right and faithful before the Lord, his God....in the eyes of the Lord". He sought an audience of One, seeking not what others say or want, but what God desires and wills. So he "removed the high places" and broke them in pieces, those places that demanded worship of themselves in denial of God. King Hezekiah instructed that all "uncleanness" be brought out of the temple. Then the people sacrificed to the Lord, which ushered in an outburst of praise and worship to the Lord. They brought thank offerings to the Lord and set their hearts to seek God, the Lord. "So there was great joy...the king held fast to the Lord. He did not depart from following him...and the Lord was with him." The Bible says that in every work he undertook in the service of the house of God, he was "seeking God, he did with all his heart, and prospered."

I gratefully fly this morning through God's window of constant love to receive His freedom! His Words of truth direct my flight and focus me to be whom He created me to be and to do what He created me for today! All praise, all joy to and from Him!