Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Manna for Now

"Wish for the past and you drink poison. Worry about the future and you eat fire. Stay in this moment and you eat the mana needed for now." The head agrees heartily. Wise words. Words from one who knows, and yet words that chastise me for wishing on the star of the past. Words that rebuke my worried wanderings into the future, a future pondered with grace absent. 

"Just stay in this moment. The grace in this moment is your manna. Stay in this moment and you eat the manna needed for now."  Ann Voscamp's words stare me in the face and proclaim their truth. I let them sit on my turbulent heart. 

How slippery emotions can be, from gratitude overflowing and joy in the presence of those loved and enjoyed. To a tarry pit where feet feel stuck and, like beasts of old, everything begins to get sucked in. 

"From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth." Oh my, if He made heaven and the earth, is He not also able....?

"...when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know when our faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing." James 1:2-4 

It's time to consider life-giving words again.....consider, know, let. I need to look at things differently again - consider the opportunity for joy. Great joy. Know this is a test - take hold of this chance for growth. And stop striving - let endurance grow. Stay in this moment with those truths, let joy well up and endurance grow. Here is the manna needed for now. The grace in this moment is my manna.