Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A Gift to Myself....

A new year is upon us, with potential for newness everywhere! It's a time for a gift to myself - maybe to yourself too! I have a coaching idea you are welcome to join me in doing.

Something I like to do at this time of the year is take a look at my life, past and future! It's time to do that again, and I'm excited for the awaiting discoveries! The Bible says I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me! And his yoke is light and he wants me to learn from him! I am eager to learn from the Master and all-wise, all-knowing One.

Here's what I will do:
~ First I will complete 2013 and make sure I'm ready to move on by identifying what kind of blessings, successes, wins and breakthroughs I've had in 2013.
~ Next I will list all my losses, disappointments and breakdowns in 2013.
I am just beginning this process for 2013-14 as I write, so I can't give any personal examples yet.

~ Next I will identify 5-7 lessons I have learned from both, that I want to take into 2014, lessons I will want to consciously use in the coming year. This brings completion to the year, even when some things have no closure or answers to them yet. There's always something to learn and be grateful for. Always.

The next part is the most exciting to me, as a life coach. I will imagine ahead to December 2014 and will write a list of my blessings, successes, wins, and breakthroughs of this coming year. I will write specifically as though they have already happened. (I love how this works in our brains!) I often take a look at each area of my life when I do this, making my list long.

Some areas of my life I may look at are my physical health, emotional health, career satisfaction, financial stability, marriage/romantic relationships, home life (family), extended family, friends/social life, recreation, relaxation, lifestyle (busyness), personal life fulfillment, personal spiritual life, church life, physical comfort, service to others. Ok, so I listed all I can think of, but there's value here!

Another way to evaluate the coming year would be to hold it up to the fruit of the Spirit. So the areas to think about would be your love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and your self control.

I have a wonderful New Years day in store, completing the old and bringing in the new! A gift to myself that will reap benefits all year long!

How about you?