Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Stretching my Wings

I have always enjoyed new things. Not things per say, but learning how to do new things. New things that are in my interest range, that is! I find myself saying "yes" at times before I count the cost! I get myself in trouble sometimes by speaking so quickly, but then again I grow immensely through these opportunities I grasp ahold of!

For instance saying yes to speaking at a women's event at our church last weekend. I honestly brought up the option only because they were having a hard time finding a speaker. I didn't really think they would take me up on it, even though something about it sounded fun in a challenging sort of way.

It's so scary-exciting to spread my wings and soar in the Lord's strength with something new. I learned some things about myself recently, especially the night before I spoke. That I can freak out when I am uncertain. That I have a little girl living within me that gets scared of what others may think of me, and who sometimes tells me I'm going to fail.

And that I find a place of God's perfect peace when I realize and then tell Him I'll mess up and am a mess. And that without Him taking over, my words will be a waste of everyone's time.

That was the best lesson of all. The Bible says that when I am weak, He is strong. And I experienced that fully Sunday. I could hardly believe how relaxed I felt all day, without hardly a butterfly. Of course, I had called in an army to pray for me. But to have literally walked in such peace through the entire day, with such enjoyment while speaking to the room full of women, was huge evidence to me of how much God loves to show Himself. He is faithful and cares deeply about what we care about. I'm glad He continually calls me to do things His way, not mine. To think His way, not mine.

How I love my friends who pray...

How I love my Savior!